BusinessWeek.com screened data from the National Association of Realtors (NAR) to identify markets with the highest home-price appreciation during the second quarter.
Nationally, home prices increased 3.7 percent in the second quarter. But these top 10 markets all saw prices climb at least three times faster than that:
* Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News (Va.-N.C.), up 23.6 percent from a year ago
* Portland-Vancouver (Ore.), 19.1 percent.
* Tampa-St. Petersburg (Fla.), 18.8 percent.
* Eugene-Springfield (Ore.), 18.3 percent.
* Orlando (Fla.), 17 percent.
* Los Angeles-Long Beach, 14.6 percent.
* Phoenix-Mesa (Ariz.), 11.8 percent.
* Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington (Pa.-N.J.-Del.), 11.4 percent.
* Hagerstown-Martinsburg (Md. -WVa.), 11.4 percent.
* Norwich-New London (Conn.), 11 percent.
Source: Business Week Online, (08/23/06) Christopher Palmeri and Douglas MacMillan